Mold On Your Contact Lenses? Here Is Why And How To Get Rid Of It
Improper storage will lead to mold contamination regardless of any kind, brand, and type of contact lenses. Improper sterilization and disinfection of contact lenses as well as contaminated contact lens case or lens solutions are also factors that contribute to fungal contamination of contact lenses. Remember that molds can grow anywhere, even in your storage case. No matter what lenses you are using as long as you are not taking good care of your contact lenses, they will start developing mold and fungus.
DO CONTACT LENSES GET MOLDY?
As we mentioned, we store lenses in a liquid solution. And while contact lens needs a solution to disinfect, it’s also a breeding ground for mold and fungus if not being replaced regularly. So, to answer the question, do contact lenses get moldy? Yes, they can, and they do. That means not cleaning and replacing your solution and case regularly is a no-go.
TYPES OF MOLD
CAN WE REUSE THE LENSES?
No. Never use a moldy contact lens! The contact lenses should no longer be worn. You should toss your contact lenses as well as the lens case immediately and replace them with new lenses.
HOW DO YOU PREVENT MOLD?
There are a few steps to take when ensuring you’re not a member of the moldy contact lenses club. The best way to prevent mold is to always maintain good contact lens hygiene.
- The lens case should be rinsed and cleaned every day.
- Change contact lens case regularly
- Replace and always use fresh solution
- Replace the lenses when they’ve reached the recommended time frame
- Store your lenses In a cool and dry place
- It’s best not to put it in the bathroom as it’s easy to get moldy when wet.
- If you have the budget, we recommend investing in a contact lens cleaner to help deep clean your contact lenses to prevent mold growth